Tuesday, May 25, 2010

whether your high or low

There is certain news where it's appropriate to spring on someone. News such as: here's an paid vacation! here's fifty dollars, go by some McDonalds! Here's a pair of shorts, go crazy!

But there is some news that is best to be eased in to; some news that must gestate; news that relies on time in order to bring about understanding.

Fourteen days ago little Enrique Alberto was born. Fourteen days ago I became an older brother. I found out today. E.A. was born in town not 15-20 minutes from where I grew up, he is the first member of my close family to be born in Ohio. I'm writing all this down because I have no idea what else to do.

The last I spoke with mein pere was about a month ago, he had told me that he and his wife were thinking about having another kid. In actuality she was already in her third trimester, so any decision on whether they had the baby or not would be illegal in the U.S. So that's that. He shoulda just said we are having a baby.

I'm probably thinking much too much too mulch too munch about this.
It's just strange to feel so removed from that side of my family that I wasn't at least kept in the loop about the baby drama. A least he's healthy and hopefully I'll make the trek over there to meet him.


Welcome him and warn him: our town and family is really fucking dumb.